One of the most iconic bikes in Triumph’s range, the Speed Triple is the bike on which ‘Hinckley Triumph’s’ foundations have been built, and has sold over 70,000 units since its launch in 1994.
But this year will herald the arrival of the Speed Triple R, the ultimate performance roadster.
This new model is dripping with beautiful engineering and is lavished with the most desirable components from the biggest names in the motorcycle industry. The Speed Triple R delivers the most intense and engaging ride of any Triumph roadster to date, delivering true racetrack performance to satisfy the needs of even the most discerning motorcyclist.
- Suspension: The Öhlins suspension has been developed specifically for the Speed Triple R with both Öhlins and Triumph development riders involved in extensive evaluation tests of the units on the bike. The NIX30 forks, which separate the compression and rebound damping between the legs, have specific internals to suit the Triumph, as does the TTX36 shock.
- Brakes and Tires: The Speed Triple uses uprated versions of Brembo’s monobloc four-piston radial caliper. With 5% more stopping power than the Brembo units on the stock Speed Triple, the R’s calipers feature a tough anodised finish. ABS will feature as an optional extra. Pirelli Super Corsa SP tyres also provide added grip ideal for both road and track.
- Wheels: The lightweight wheels are developed specifically for the Speed Triple R. Created from an 18.9kg solid lump of aluminium alloy, the rear wheel is forged by German company Otto Fuchs and finally machined by PVM into a 3.82kg wheel, with the front wheels also forged in the same way. Weighing 1kg less than the stock wheel, such a reduction is achieved by the forged wheel’s greater strength, meaning the rim can be reduced in thickness from 4mm to just 2.5mm. With the front 0.7kg and rear 1kg lighter than stock, tests have shown the wheels’ inertia are reduced by 16% and 25% respectively due to the reduction in unsprung mass.
- Final details: Of course, every Triumph ‘R’ model comes with some added touches for that extra touch of quality. Paint options are classy metallic Phantom Black or Crystal White and subtle details include black anodised taper handlebars, plus the signature red sub-frame which all make the Speed Triple R stand out distinctively. Add to that a carbon fibre tank cover, radiator shrouds, and inner radiator from the same company that makes Lamborghini’s carbon components, and you can see this bike is ready for the road.
Engine and Transmission
- Type: Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
- Capacity: 1050 cc
- Bore/Stroke: 79.0 x 71.4 mm
- Fuel System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
- Exhaust: Stainless Steel 3 into 1 into 2, twin high level stainless steel silencers
- Final Drive: X ring chain
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 6-speed
- Oil Capacity: 3.8 litres (1.0 US gals)
Chassis, Running Gear and Displays
- Frame: Aluminum beam twin-spar
- Swingarm: Single-sided, aluminum alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
- Front Wheel: Forged aluminum alloy 5 spoke 17 x 3.5in
- Rear Wheel: Forged aluminum alloy 5 spoke 17 x 6.0in
- Front Tire: 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear Tire: 190/55 ZR 17
- Front Suspension: Öhlins 43mm NIX30 upside down forks with adjustable rebound and compression damping, 120mm travel
- Rear Suspension: Öhlins TTX36 twin tube Monoshock with rebound and compression damping, 130mm rear wheel travel
- Front Brakes: Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston Monobloc radial calipers , Switchable ABS
- Rear Brakes: Single 255mm disc, Nissin single 2-piston sliding caliper, Switchable ABS
- Instrument Display/Functions: LCD multi-functional instrument pack with digital speedometer, fuel gauge, trip computer, analogue tachometer, programmable gear change lights, lap timer, service interval announcement and TPMS ready, switchable ABS
Dimensions and Capacities
- Length: 2100 mm (82.6 in)
- Width (handlebars): 795 mm (31.3 in)
- Height without mirrors: 1110 mm (43.7 in)
- Seat Height: 825 mm (32.5 in)
- Wheelbase: 1435 mm (56.5 in)
- Rake/Trail: 22.8 degree (90.9 mm)
- Fuel Tank Capacity / Efficiency: 17.5 litres (4.6 US gals)
- Wet Weight (ready to ride): 212 kg (466 lbs)
Performance (measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)
- Maximum Power: 135PS / 133bhp / 99 kW @ 9400rpm
- Maximum Torque: 111Nm / 82 ft.lbs @ 7750rpm
Fuel Efficiency estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle conducted under ideal laboratory conditions. Actual mileage may vary based upon personal riding habits, weather, vehicle condition, and other factors.